Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Handicap or Addiction:

My computer keyboard broke last week and I was handicap for not being able to use my PC. My e-world came to halt. Still I managed to surf using mouse. The AMC guy could not fix it and I had to wait for a week. I barked at him and was getting restless, for delay. I somehow manage to access my mailbox but could not replay the mails. I could not write blogs and my mind was overflowing with bright ideas to write new blogs.

Therefore, what can we call this addiction, need, slavery, laziness, advance technology, or are we idiots, glued to these tubes. Age group from 5 to 50 yrs are addicted to various latest electronic gadgets, like TV, Mobile phones, Computer- Internet, DVD, Music, etc. If our mobile is misplaced or lost, we panic like anything as if our heart has stopped pumping. Every house must have a TV, even people having second home opt for having a TV and if its not LCD or LED then you are BPL.Recently I visited my friends place and rather than entertaining me, he kept his TV on and ignored me being his guest, buddy I had come to meet you and not watch TV at your home.

I conducted an experiment of not having a TV at my second home and it was really peaceful and could read lot of books and newspaper. Therefore, we can live without the idiot box.

Worst addiction is Internet surfing and playing online Games. In Korea a guy died of playing online game for straight 48 hrs, I had heard people died with electric shocks but nothing whimsical like this. Imagine not checking mails for months, Internet addicts will need some trauma treatment. Same for people in Pune, not owning a vehicle to travel across the length and breadth of city. If you do not have a two wheeler here, one would be wasting 3 hours traveling by city bus.

I oppose the above cause as these gizmos where not available 40 years back. They lived a healthy and happy life. People used to travel by cycles and often walked to their destination. Still today, there is a small town in Germany where all modern amenities are ban by the village. Villagers still use horse cart, hand pumps, Ancient tools, and hand woven clothes to wear. They do not have electric, car and modern gizmos. They had installed hand pump in there kitchen and had prohibited themselves from being photographed / video shoot.

Definitely, technology is a boom for us but we have crossed the limited to use it. In Cities if there is no power supply for few hours, faces turn red of tax payers. However, what about the villages who do not have power supply for last 25 years.

Therefore, its upto us whether we should be like the community in Germany or be an addict for not so necessary things.

No comments:

Post a Comment